Okay, so you’ve probably heard of Quinoa (aka “KEEN-wha”) lately as a complete protein source. Which it most certainly is. What does this mean? Well it has all of the essential amino acids that your body needs that are found in meat products as well as vegetarian sources. Last October I contributed to The Vegetarian’s Complete Guide to Quinoa by Mairlyn Smith. During this process I learned so much about quinoa and especially about HOW DELICIOUS IT TASTES! You can literally add anything or do anything to it and it will be delicious. Some of my favourite ideas are to add sweet potatoes which you can see in my recipe below. Other delicious tastes are apples and cinnamon, with blue cheese and buffalo sauce (tastes like buffalo chicken fingers), and on top of any salad with berries.
Check out my recipe featured in the book here. Don’t forget to pick up a copy it has desserts, breakfasts, lunch, dinner and more in it.
Sweet Potato and Eggplant Quinoa
1 medium onion, diced, apx ½ cup (125mL)
1 tablespoon (15mL) extra virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon (5mL) garlic minced to total 1 teaspoon
½ teaspoon (2mL) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (5mL) ground cinnamon
1 cup (250 mL) whole-grain quinoa, well rinsed and drained
2 cups (500mL) water
One-10 fl oz (284mL) can of vegetable broth
1 medium sweet potato (about 1 lb/500 g) scrubbed well and chopped into 0.4 inches (1 cm) pieces for total of 1 ½ cup (375mL)
1 medium eggplant, scrubbed well and chopped into 0.4 inches (1 cm) pieces for total of 1 ½ cup (375mL)
One -19 fl oz. (540 mL) can black beans, drained and rinsed
4 tablespoons (60mL) crumbled Feta cheese, used to garnish with
1. Chop up onion, sweet potato and eggplant and set aside
2. Rinse mixed beans and set aside
3. In a large skillet sauté onion and oil on medium to high until tender
4. Add garlic, beans, sweet potato, eggplant, vegetable broth, cinnamon and cumin bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low and cover to simmer for 25 minutes or until sweet potato is tender stirring occasionally
5. Place quinoa in a fine wire mesh strainer and rinse well. Place rinsed quinoa a side. Meanwhile bring 2 cups of water to boil and slowly add rinsed quinoa at let simmer for 15 minutes stirring occasionally. After 15 minutes has elapsed remove quinoa from heat and let sit for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes has elapsed fluff with a fork.
6. Mix quinoa with vegetable and bean mixture
7. Garnish with feta